Saturday, September 12, 2009

This Isn't Just Another Fad

Twiggy

Mary Quant

Emmanuel Ungaro

Quadrophenia

Edie Sedgwick

Bonjour!
Someday I will just throw away everything in my closet and start fresh with a mod wardrobe. It would be 60s mini dresses galore and I'd have a bob, thick fake eyelashes, and knee high socks. Who cares about a job? Swinging to groovy vinyl sounds much better...minus the fags (CIGARETTES FOR ALL OF YOU NON-BRITS). *Siiigh* Until then I'll just admire the mod era from my computer screen whilst streaming Small Faces from youtube. This weeks inspiration came from a short clip of legendary 60s icon, Twiggy, dancing about in a glittering slip. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrJjxlP0iYM I love how her bug eyes wander around in space when first asked to dance, as if in shock from having to be herself. God, can you imagine being THAT famous at 16? It seems Twiggy came back down to earth as she grew older, isn't that the way with everyone? Now let's ignore her personality for a moment and focus on the clothes she, along with the rest of her generation, wore. Mary Quant, the inventor of the mini skirt, was no doubt a big one back then. She really captured the whole mod vibe with her fashion. Another person that encapsulates that time period is Edie Sedgwick. I have mentioned her before in the "Lace Tops" post. She was one of Andy Warhol's muses and had the 60s written all over her. Ohoh, one more thing, QUADROPHENIA!!! An epic movie created by the Who about Mods vs. Rockers. It takes place in Britain and is filled with fascinating clothing. I think I'll go and take a nap.
xoxo Valentine

2 comments:

Search This Blog

Followers