Thursday, May 5, 2011

"Wolf Like Me"

Topshop glasses and limited edition coat paired with a men's Vivienne Westwood t-shirt. "Too fast to live Too young to die."


As it happens my New York journey has a little more ground then I can cover in only one post. We'll get the educational one out of the way first. Oh the grueling task of scoping out art colleg- who am I kidding? Deciding to pursue fashion design is like those fluke days in class when your teachers are gloriously tired enough to just throw on a movie. You wallow in the loveliness of the situation...no work, an incomprehensible French film, chattering with friends in the back. The relief of doing something I actually want to do is overpowering in both instances. On my trip the four colleges I inspected were Rhode Island School of Design (Risd), which is conveniently right across the street from Brown (which means if I went there *I'd* be conveniently across the street from Brown *boys*), Parsons The New School of Design, which I'll talk about in a second, Pratt, and, of course, FIT. I figured Parsons would be the most interesting to you because of the whole Project Runway link. You always wonder what school has a giant runway hidden somewhere in it and the results aren't nearly as glamorous as I'd have hoped. The fashion school of Parson is crammed into a corner of the meat packing district a little ways away from the other schools. You see little fashion elves scowling the outskirts of the building smoking cigarettes in a uniform of high heeled combat boots, leggings, and over-sized black shirts. Get to the building filled with attractive gay men, skinny bitches, and asian trust fund babies and you know you're in the right place. Inside you'll see some diligent students pinning at their work while the majority eat. Photos of the senior collections line the bulletin boards and are, for the most part, quite impressive. I had a fleeting glance at one fantastically whimsical design in particular but alas I have no photograph. My little group of anxious college-samplers hesitantly explored the building's floors and found not a SINGLE RUNWAY. It's as if Project Runway doesn't even exist outside of filming hours. Before I could find a Parson's director to yell at for this travesty (I'm kidding, I really only watch PR when there's a marathon on. Shit is CATCHY) I found myself being enthusiastically taught how to make shoes by a professor! He shuffled about with unattached heels and swabs of leather pointing out all the different parts of a shoe and the process that each one endures before you can walk in it. His intensity was very inspiring and I wish I had caught the name to which I owed such wise words of advice. Well, that's all I have to say about Parsons- hope I didn't bore you :)
<3 Valentine

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

Followers